Saturday, April 17, 2010
Thursday, July 2, 2009
The First HUGE Vegan Dinner party!!! for Vegas!!
Vegan Caribbean Nights
A night w- Compassionate cuisine
Great Atmosphere, Delicious Vegan Food, & Great Music
ALL UNDER ONE ROOF!
Chef Mayra Productions and Green Outlet. Hosted by Studio West
Enjoy an unforgettable evening with the best in vegan Caribbean cuisine.
4-Course Vegan Dinner by Chef Mayra also known as Dr Flavor
Music by a LIVE Band
Cash Bar with Vegan Wines
A fabulous Display by Victorios Zoot Suit collections showcasing A flair of Caribbean and Tropical Fashions... Victorios store is located at the art Factory
And more...flair and fun !...
AUGUST 21, 2009 http://is.gd/1lCig
The Arts Factory
107 E. Charleston Studio West suite 250
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Tickets: $75.00 in advance $85.00 at the door.
Chef Mayra, The Doctor Flavor
FUN + FOOD+ CARIBBEAN+VEGAN= ONE SEXY FULL OF ENERGY PARTY
WHEN: Friday, August, 21 2009 @ 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Go to Chef Mayra's event web site: http://www.chefmayra.com/caribbean.html
Ticket on SALE NOW!!!
Watch Chef Mayra Live Every Wednesday @ NOON (PST)
TV SHOW* Internet/ Steaming Cooking/A Conversation with the Vegan Chef. http://whydoyouneedorganicfood.blogspot.com/
Friday, June 19, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
These were incredibly easy to make and because they are refrigerator pickles, there was no processing involved. I cut mine into quarters, but you can leave them whole if you like. You are supposed to keep them for 10 days before opening them. I've been staring at those jars of pickles every time I open the refrigerator, daring me to open them. I decided in the interests of journalistic reporting, that it was time to crack open a jar and actually taste them before I wrote this post on them. At least, that's my story. I am happy to say, that they are quite delicious. I cut the amount of sugar in the recipe by half and I think I would cut it back a bit more, because they were a little bit sweet for my taste. Other than that, they have a great crunch, a fresh cucumber taste, with a bit of heat that stays on your tongue.
Make Chef Mayra's Spicy Dill Pickles
12 pickling cucumbers
2 cups water
1 3/4 cups distilled white vinegar
1 ½ cups packed coarsely chopped fresh dill
½ cup sugar
8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon pickling spice
1 ½ teaspoons dill seeds
½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Combine all ingredients except dill sprigs in large bowl. Stir, let stand at room temperature 2 hours until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Place a few dill sprigs in each jar. Transfer 4 cucumbers to each of three 1 ½-pint wide-mouth jars. Pour pickling mixture over to cover. Cover jars with lids and close tightly. Refrigerate at least 10 days. Pickles will stay fresh for up to 1 month. Keep refrigerated.
I got some Red Russian Kale at the Farmers' Market last winter where the pickings were pretty slim. This kale was very nice, not as hard as most kale, so it cooked fairly quickly. With the home made croutons and a bit of Vegan Soy Parmesan cheese grated on top, it was a perfect soup.
Also You can add Chickpeas, Navy Beans, Kidney Beans. Add more and more protein more vitamins. Carrots, Potatoes, Taro, Sweet potatoes, Soup is endless. Great Soup to go !
Cannellini and Kale Soup Serving Suggestion
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 1 ½-inch-thick slices Italian bread, crusts removed, each slice quartered
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
5 cups (packed) thinly sliced kale (about 1 large bunch)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 14 ½-ounce can tomatoes, diced Or 10 Fresh Roma Tomatoes
1 15-ounce can organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bread and cook until bread is golden on both sides, turning with tongs, about 2 minutes total. Transfer croutons to bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining 4 tablespoons oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper to same pot; sauté over medium heat 30 seconds. Add kale and broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until kale wilts, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, beans, and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle ragout into shallow bowls. Top with croutons and serve.
Monday, May 11, 2009
Sexy People Eat Vegan (TM)
Easy Vblogs, Interviews and the everyday Vegan Life TV & Radio Blog Show Network.
Every day more studies prove that the healthiest diets are plant based, not animal based.
the environment... taken from the major news sources.
One can't be a true environmentalist and still be eating animal products.
Today's "modern agriculture", egg industry and dairy industry are just as cruel as the slaughterhouses, veal, pork, beef,turkey farms etc.
All are simple facts, so can anyone justify still eating meat??
- 1) Animal products are unnecessary.
- 2) What you eat is a learned habit.
- 3) Much healthier to avoid meat and dairy products.
- 4) Much more environmentally friendly to eat a vegan diet.
- 5) Feed more people on a plant diet than animal based one.
- 6) Using animals is incredibly cruel. Why force any pain?
- 7) Religion/ spiritual reasons "Thou shalt not kill."
- 8) Saves money....
- 9) Reduces National debt.
- 10) Vegan food tastes great!
"The fact is that there is enough food in the world for everyone. But tragically, much of the world's food and land resources are tied up in producing beef and other livestock--food for the well off--while millions of children and adults suffer from malnutrition and starvation."
"I don't understand why asking people to eat a well-balanced vegetarian diet is considered drastic, while it is medically conservative to cut people open and put them on cholesterol-lowering drugs for the rest of their lives."